Thursday, January 20, 2005

Two Questions

A friend and I came up with a potentially marvelous idea for a play: a Christian version of the Vagina Monologues (http://www.dazereader.com/vaginamonologues.htm). Christian women have a very unique relationship with their sexuality, largely influenced by what they've learned at church. She and I want to put together stories of our Christian sisters' struggles, funny moments, revelations of truth, etc. It's not exactly the process the great Eve Ensler used, but I was thinking that perhaps you might want to contribute. Just post a story anonymously (unless you're proud of it!) to my comments (implicitly giving permission to use it). I don't know how exactly this thing will come together, and I surely don't know who the audience would be, but it feels important.

The other thing is that I'm facing a job decision and I need wisdom. So send up a prayer that the Feminarian will know whether to change course (back to full-time work, part-time school) or stay on track. It's a good enough position that the decision is proving extremely difficult.

Thanks, you guys.
Oh, and see Sideways. Funny movie!! The most hysterical moments involve men running around, either drinking crazily or naked with their little penises swinging around. I enjoy laughing at men sometimes!

6 comments:

seeker said...

I have said a praryer for you. But, having spent 16-1/2 years in a job that hampered my soul, emotional & creative growth because I was afraid to leave because of the money & health insurance (or rather that lack of them if I just up & quit), I have some questions you might want to think about.

1. Will this job really give you the time you need to pursue seminary? If it really will, how much longer will it take you to finish seminary? Is the extra time it takes something you can live with?

2. Is is the type of job that could suck you in because it demands so much time, and, years later you find that you haven't pursued your dream?

3. If you can do both, is the job the type of work that will enhance the seminary experience, enhance your personal growth, or will it only help you monetarily? If the latter, how do you feel about that?

4. Would they consider hiring you 1/2 or 1/3 time, thus giving you some income, but giving you time to concentrate more on being at seminary than if you worked full time? I don't downplay the desire to have income - I'm a prime example, but.....

All the best.

Chris T. said...

Oops, I meant to post a sort of "poor man's trackback" here in the comments yesterday and forgot. I linked to your post here:

http://www.polyglut.net/index.php/archives/2005/01/21/telling-stories/

Prayers ascending for your job situation--good luck!

Hugo said...

Oh my goodness. Can't believe it took me this long to find your blog... we have quite a bit in common, not least the Pasadena progressive evangelical angle...

I'll post about your idea for a Christian Vagina Monologues next week; in the meantime, you're blogrolled.

The Feminarian said...

Hugo,

What is this "blogrolled"? I'm such an ignorant blogger. And do you have a blog I could read?

Me

Hugo said...

Oh, F, I am at http://hugoboy.typepad.com

My blogroll is my list of links...

Ampersand said...

I think the Christian Vagina Monologues is a wonderful idea; I've linked to it from my blog.