Friday, May 13, 2005

Publishing

OK, I've decided to get serious about trying to publish my "Revelation". Anyone who's seen it has told me to, and most people I describe it to tell me to, and after the last reading several people told me they wanted it for their church. So I figure there might be interest.

I would think it would be the kind of thing that Emergent churches would like to do. Actually it's good for any church - the emergent and mainline snobs can enjoy it as a unique work of art, and the crazy fundamentalists can read it as part of prophecy conference. It's a win-win! Maybe I should be contacting the Left Behind juggernaut about this...

At any rate, I'm posting this b/c I thought someone who reads might have an idea of who I could strategically submit to. I don't want to waste my or publishers' time. And maybe nobody wants it. But it seems like this crazy end-times stuff just keeps getting more popular. So why not ride the bandwagon?

In all seriousness, I care a lot about my little play, a lot of work went into it, and a lot of good theology informed it. It's my secret weapon against the fundamentalists....maybe when they hear it artistically they'll realize it's full of metaphors....

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, I am all ears. And in case I haven't described it before on here, it's a Readers Theater of the entire book of Revelation. It has 7 cast members who pretty much read equal amounts of time (John, the narrator, a little more than the others). It is exactly from Scripture (NRSV) with nothing changed, added, or deleted. It takes about 1.5 hours to read, and believe it or not, it's pretty engaging - the time goes quickly.

I think even non-Christians can appreciate it because it's primarily presented as a work of poetry. It can be really simple with just the readers on stools, or it could be dramatized with dancers, mimes (!), video/slides, etc. Maybe I should tell the mastermime about it.

If you've seen it, help me out! What else to say? Do you think there's an audience for it?

No comments: