Tuesday, March 13, 2007

All done

Well, the world is sort of ending. Check this out. Also I finished the quarter yesterday at 4:00, which is a new record (Monday of finals week). Way to go, me.

Wow, a totally wonderful opportunity has presented itself. By the grace of God I was recommended for a gig as a "scholar-in-residence" for an alternative spring break trip from Cal State Northridge. It's the Hillel group there (that's a Jewish student org), and because the trip entails working with Catholics and Baptists they wanted a Christian divinity student along with their rabbinical student who is going, to help with interfaith cooperation and whatnot. I don't know everything about it yet but it is so perfect for me. Not only is it interfaith and college students, but they are going on a service trip to the Gulf Coast, which has been something I've wanted to do ever since Katrina. And, here comes the icing on the cake, it's completely paid for - the travel, hotel, meals, etc., AND an honorarium. Wa-wa-wee-wa.

Only trouble is that it is during Holy Week, so I have to get my internship to let me off during like the biggest week of the year. But that should be possible since it's a pretty laid-back church. And I think they'll get how this is a great thing for me. I'm so excited!!

As far as the living situation goes, we're still on hold. We'd pretty much decided to go with the "sure thing" next door, but then on Sunday I was telling our deacon my story and she said we should get the house, without my even mentioning it, and she thought it was God's provision for us too. So then I went back into wait-wait mode. Yesterday our manager tried to corner us but we deftly avoided giving an answer. I don't know how long we can hold him off. But if we can wait until Sunday's vestry meeting, we should know at least whether the idea of the house is completely shot down or not. If there's any glimmer of hope, I'll hold out. But if they're totally against it, then we'll move next door and I will have a happy big kitchen and a gorgeous mountain view. So that would be lovely.

Ahhhhhh...I'm finally exhaling. I'm pretty shocked to be looking at my to-do list for the last 5 days and realize it's all crossed off. I don't know how all this gets done. I will say that my final yesterday morning was really fair and since I'd studied, I know I did really well. And I think my paper for Galatians just may turn out to be one of the better things I've ever written. I'm kind of shocked at how much I learned in that class. I'm more shocked that I can pick up the Greek NT and actually sort of read some of it again. I don't want to lose it again...but then, there will be Hebrew...

Well darlings, I'm about to be off to Iowa, going from 90 degrees to 30, which I actually think will be nice b/c it's too damn hot here. I get to be in a friend's wedding on Saturday, a dear friend from jr. high and high school. One of the only people - actually the only one, regularly - I've kept in touch with over the years. I'm trying to get over myself, because I know there will be people from high school there and it will be almost like a reunion. And I'm fat. But I've got to just suck it up and deal with it. But did she really have to put me in a strapless dress?? Damn. Well my pushups have paid off and my shoulders look pretty good. After that, it's all about the girdle, right? :)

OK, love to all, I'm going to do the post-quarter clean-up now and then pack myself up. Have a great week!

1 comment:

Shawna Atteberry said...

Congratulations on the scholar-in-residence. It sounds fantastic.