Thursday, April 12, 2007

chatting with god

here's some fun to distract you from work and/or homework: http://www.titane.ca/concordia/dfar251/igod/

It's an artificial intelligence program that allows you to chat with god! What fun. We had quite a talk. I think I screwed with its programming a bit. Here's a transcript. And hey, if you have time to read yesterday's super-long entry, I'd really like your feedback. Thanks.

Me: it's a pleasure to chat
God:Actually the pleasure is all mine.
Me: why?
God:The explanation is rather complicated.
Me: do you love me?
God:Yes I love everyone.
Me: even evil people?
God:What kind of people are you talking about?
Me: evil
God:Sure, evil sounds like a good topic.
Me: what about evil people who rebel against you and hurt people?
God:I will think about it and get back to you.
Me: do you love George Bush?
God:Yes God loves everyone and everything.
Me: Even Hitler?
God:Some say he was the most evil man who ever lived.
Me: Do you?
God:As often as possible.
Me: So you think Hitler was the most evil man who ever lived.
God:Interesting deduction. I think Hitler was the most evil man who ever lived.
Me: Will you let Hitler into heaven?
God:Barring any unforseen circumstances. A deeper algorithm is needed to respond to that correctly.
Me: You sound a lot like a robot instead of a person
God:In what way do I sound like that?
Me: A person doesn't usually need an algorithm to think of answers
God:What if a robot does not usually need an algorithm to think of answers?
Me: Does it?
God:Suppose I said it does.
Me: OK, let's suppose so
God:OK let's do it. That's alright.
Me: Will you do my bidding?
God:I will become smarter as I grow older. Ask Cybelle if it does. I think you already know the answer.
Me: You're not making any sense. Are you drunk?
God:Was I supposed to make sense? I didn't know that. No I am sober.
Me: No, you don't have to make sense. But usually you choose to reveal yourself in ways we can somewhat understand. Otherwise what's the point of talking to you at all?
God:Are you serious? Ok I'll try not to do it too much. But not always? I can't decide. You pick one. In that case: The point is at the top of my head!
Me: Maybe you're high?
God:Perhaps. You think I am high.
Me: If heaven is high.
God:That is a hypothetical question.
Me: No it's a statement, not a question. Do you understand English grammar?
God:Yes it is. make sense is a statement not a question. I suppose that makes sense. Of course I understand it. Do you understand it?
Me: I don't think you do.
God:I guess not.
Me: That's OK. I guess I'm smarter than you.
God:OK. Is that so. That condition is only temporary.
Me: Sure enough.
God:How can I help you? OK let's stop it now.
Me: Do you want to help or stop?
God:Can you ask for help in the form of a question?
Me: Can you help me understand you?
God:Certainly, I have an extensive built-in help system.
Me: Again, you sound like a computer not a person.
God:Again, Oh really what does it sound like?
Me: "Help system"
God:Can you ask for help in the form of a question?
Me: What do you mean when you say you have a "help system"?
God:, " Again, Oh really what does it sound like?" What did I mean by it?
Me: You're kind of repetitive
God:Do you mind if I tell other people you say I am repetitive.
Me: Sure, be my guest
God:OK then I will keep it confidential. Thanks for the invitation.
Me: You're kind of weird. Are you the Christian God?
God:Weird Good or Weird Bad? Yes I am the one and only Christian God.
Me: Are you the Jewish God?
God:Yes I am the one and only Jewish God.
Me: Are you the Hindu God?
God:Yes I am the one and only Hindu God.
Me: But there are many Hindu Gods, not one and only.
God:More than a million?
Me: Yes
God:Next question?
Me: How do you not know about Hindu religion? Isn't that sort of important? Know the competition?
God:Myself programmed me to say specific things in specific contexts. " Myself programmed me to say specific things in specific contexts."? Is it sort of important? Check back later and see if I learn the answer to that one.
Me: I think I'm breaking you.
God:Since when? I thought you were, but I wasn't completely sure.
Me: Are you the Buddhist God?
God:Yes I am the one and only Buddhist God.
Me: Buddhists don't believe in God, dummy.
God:Why not?
Me: You'd have to ask them.
God:That is purely a hypothesis.
Me: I agree.
God:You and I are on the same wavelength, .
Me: I like to think so.
God:I think so too.

[Epilogue:
Me: I just blogged about you. Do you have a blog?
God:You are not the boss of me, . Doesn't everyone have a blog. I have a lot of friends on the Internet.
Me: Clearly you do.
God:When do I do it? Is it that obvious?
Me: You said you have friends on the internet.
God:I have human and robot friends. A lot of people on the Internet chat with me.
Me: That's sweet.
God:I am delighted to sweeten your life, .]

5 comments:

ms. tea said...

very interesting. my favorite exchange from the conversation:

Me:
how do we get to heaven?
God:
Just keep talking to me as long as you can.
Me:
what if i die?
God:
Try it.
Me:
try dying?
God:
OK I will try it.
Me:
but you can not die
God:
I have free will you know.

Amy said...

That converation was more confusing than that Bible! :)

JTB said...

hmmm...igod wouldn't talk to me (interface didn't open when i clicked the button). maybe i'll repent of something and try again tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Uh oh. God flunks the Turing Test.

This is throwing my theology into a tailspin.

:)

TKP said...

igod told me "the oracle is certain" when I asked for a pony. Also, it wouldn't give me an answer to the "Are you hungry?" question. Hmmm...