Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Contextualizing

Sorry, my friends, but it's that time again when I'm too busy to write. I have many things to write, but a frustratingly tiny amount of time (or energy, usually) to devote to this blog.

But I do want to say that I recently read a bunch of articles on various contextual theologies for my history class (liberation, black, post-colonial feminist, Dalit, queer/gay and lesbian, etc.) and among many provocative bits in them, I found one in particular to be quite compelling. The queer theology article suggested that since being "queer" means always being beyond labels or norms as defined by human beings (my prof said it is living in chaos, though I'm not entirely sure that is what is meant), that means Jesus is, ultimately, queer (in that sense, not gay).

I found this to be quite interesting. If we are truly to be living God's way, and if we believe that way is fundamentally opposed to human ways of doing things (which I'm not sure it is, but let's be Barthian for a moment), then what we are doing when we live as Christians is embracing a queer way of life. Queer in regards to human norms and definitions - but completely correct (and, I would venture, non-chaotic) according to God's.

What do you all think about that? Thought this might leave you something to think about while I'm off working on finals. Wish me luck! :)

No comments: