Saturday, May 12, 2007

New Quotes

I'll list all the ones I get from Merton, too, after I'm done with that assignment. In the meantime, some words of wisdom:

Don't just do something, sit there.- Thich Nhat Hanh

What I wear is pants. What I do is live. How I pray is breathe.- Thomas Merton

In worship, if you want sensation without commitment, you're just participating in the world's oldest profession.- Bill & Gloria Gaither (not sure which, it was said to my mentor when he met them last week)

Here will I hold. If there's a power above us (and that there is all nature cries aloud Thro' all her works), He must delight in virtue; And that which he delights in must be happy.- Addison's Cato

Unfortunately, many people act as if Jesus had taught that the first and greatest commandment is this: Thou shall go to church. And the second is like it: Thou shall try to get others to go to church. - Millard Fuller; founder, Habitat for Humanity

A saint is a person who when he does his own will, is doing the will of God. - Thomas Merton

I am he, the might and the goodness of the Fatherhood; I am he, the wisdom of the Motherhood; I am he, the light and the grace that is all blessed love: I am he, the Trinity, I am he, the Unity: I am the sovereign goodness of all manner of things. I am he who makes you to love: I am he who makes you to long: I am he, the endless fulfilling of all true desires.- Julian of Norwich

There is no where in the world where we can drop a bomb and not be sure we haven't hit another brother or sister in Christ.~ Prof. Todd Johnson

Animals feed themselves; men eat; but only wise men know the art of eating.- Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

And do thou, O Lord my God, teach my heart where and how to seek thee, where and how to find thee. - Anselm of Canterbury, Proslogion

When you see the Lord sacrificed and lying before you, and the High Priest standing over the sacrifice and praying, and all who partake being tinctured with that precious blood, can you think that you are still among men and still standing on earth? Are you not at once transported to heaven, and, having driven out of your soul every carnal thought, do you not with soul naked and mind pure look round upon heavenly things? Oh, the wonder of it! Oh, the loving-kindness of God to men! He who sits above with the Father is at that moment held in our hands, and gives himself to those who wish to clasp and embrace him! - St. John Chrysostom, On Priesthood

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."- Michael Pollan's "short answer to the supposedly incredibly complicated and confusing question of what we humans should eat in order to be maximally healthy."

The best limit of sobriety for us will be not only to follow God's lead always in learning but, when He sets an end to teaching, to stop trying to be wise.- John Calvin

No comments: