Friday, December 23, 2005

Not all that

I'm probably going to get creamed for this, but I really didn't think Narnia was all that. I enjoyed it on one level, but it certainly wasn't like a great movie. I liked even the new Harry Potter better. And despite making about 1/3 the grosses, I way preferred King Kong and would venture that's a better bet for about anyone.

It was pleasant enough, but afterwards, we found ourselves going over everything annoying about it. For me, that was the music (so trite!) and the lion, who I thought looked completely fake. The other animals, especially the beavers, looked good, but I didn't buy Aslan for a minute. Did they even look at a real lion??

J hated the acting (except Tilda Swinton, who was fabulous) and generally thought it was boring, although he admitted he finds the book boring as well. Ah well.

Oh, but some happy Christmas news: my dad got a job! He's an admissions counselor for a small liberal arts school near my folks' home. It doesn't pay great - my mom will have to keep working two jobs - but it's a nice boost for his ego. And I've found that jobs in higher ed turn over quickly and to have a foot in the door is all you need to move around within the institution to find the job you love.

The church is still being awful about the house. Emailed them at 11 last night (2 days before Christmas!) to tell them they'd upped the price (again) and it's now way out of their price range, as well as rejecting their requests for more time to figure out what to do because they want to put their interim pastor in the house. Oh, yeah, that guy from the company that started this whole thing. Don't get me going.

So they now have been told to either take this offer which has inflated tremendously or get out pronto. Nice church. Maybe best for the people of God not to get into real estate. Too tempting.

Anyway, I probably won't write again until after the festival of the incarnation, so may it be blessed for you!

3 comments:

kate said...

I am totally with you on Narnia. I wasn't too impressed. So many moments were reminiscent of the Lord of the Rings movies. I wish they had been more creative in their depiction of the battle. I haven't seen King Kong but hope too soon! Yeah for Peter Jackson!

Peterson Toscano said...

I too left the theater disappointed by Narnia. I did enjoy the chemistry between Mr. Tumnus and Lucy.

Overall, I think my problem with the film is my problem with C.S. Lewis. He had no sympathetically drawn adult women (except maybe Mrs. Beaver). Also everything at Cair Paravel seemed so terribly symetrical--perfect, lined up, I guess like much of Lewis' evangelical theology and legacy.

I wish someone would make a film out of "Till We Have Faces". Lots more complex and raises more questions then answers.

Delia Christina said...

me too! i reread the book over the summer. i thought the movie came off as a little clunky. i was expecting wondrous and instead thought it was clumsy.