Saturday, November 18, 2006

Random connections

I think going to grad school is a lot like having a baby.

You start off with all this expectation of wonderfulness,
All this potential,
All these prayers and dreams.

But then you figure out pretty quickly that
it's way more work than you anticipated.
And you're not getting any sleep.
And you've lost your figure.
And you can't afford anything anymore.
And you're going to be paying for this for the rest of your life.

You find yourself, at turns,
tremendously happy,
absolutely terrified,
deeply depressed,
and completely fulfilled.

Though you may try to steer things one way or another,
oftentimes you are surprised by the way things turn out.
It starts to take on a life of its own.

And in the end, all you can do is hope that this thing you've created
and nurtured
and given life
and put so very much of yourself into
will somehow make the world a better place.

But really, that's out of your hands too.

Thank goodness I believe in a higher power.

I might give up.

And I might never even try the baby thing.

2 comments:

youngandcollared said...

I'm de-lurking in honor of RGBP Hppy Delurking Week! I've been checking in on your blog... friends of mine used to call me the Feminarian. I hear ya on the whole grad school thing..

Anonymous said...

Can totally resonate with the grad school thoughts and I have had three babies. I am also delurking. Always enjoy the visits. (o)