Sunday, August 27, 2006

happy blogger

Well we did it - we broke down and got a laptop. We got an amazing deal on a new Toshiba (I know, it's not a mac, but it was literally half the price of the cheapest mac and has more features). I think I'll be able to replace my giant-ass desktop with it, although for mobile use we're going to share. J needs it to take his powerpoints around and then I'll get it for note-taking when he's not using it. When he has it I'll continue to use my little Pocket PC, which is much lighter and more convenient to carry around anyway.

I'm so happy. I'm sitting in the library and I don't have to wait for one of their computers to be available! The thing that did it was learning the library limits you to one computer session a day. What! I couldn't really deal with that, even for free internet access. So now we got this computer for the same price as 10 mos of internet would have been (oh, before taxes, that is), but we get to keep it and it does many other fun things. So I think we did the smart thing. Now I grab it and head over here any time I need to go online. Awesome. I think this was a good move. Great use of money we don't necessarily have.

But will soon! Thank God, we finally get a paycheck this month!! Oh, it's been such a long time. I feel most bad, actually, that we've so neglected our pledges at church. I'm sure they don't expect people to pledge when they don't have an income, but it still feels bad to fall behind. I hope we can also build up our savings again, but we'll have to pay off a lot of bills first.

We visited my internship church today because my supe was preaching. It wasn't as bad as I remembered it - that is, last time I was there I was really offended by a lot of what they did with the liturgy and language, but this time, I could understand why (maybe I just know more about liturgy now), and I got it. There are a few tweaks I still don't care for - their sung version of the creed, for instance, hits the highlights but leaves out a mention of baptism, which I think is important. If our entire Christian life is living into our baptism, as my prof Todd would say, then it is a great thing to remind ourselves of that glorious event in which we joined the community of saints, every week!

And that reminds me of another thing. Our church does the kids' birthdays each week, which has become a riot because they read anywhere from 5-15 names (we have a lot of kiddos) and usually a couple births every last week. But I have been thinking that it would be actually more appropriate to name baptism anniversaries, both for the kids and why not? everybody else too. This would be a way to affirm our Christian rebirth and emphasize our new life in Christ, rather than celebrating a birthday that has to do with the old life which will pass away.

I'm not judging birthday parties - heck, I throw renowned ones annually. I just think in church it would be cool to remind the children (and us all) about the life we have together as a result of our baptism, rather than the life we have as individuals as a result of our parents making whoopee. I think I'd like to have a party every year for my kids to celebrate their baptisms. Maybe do it with the other parents whose kids were dunked with mine (or sprinkled...but I'd rather dunk 'em! You lose the death symbolism otherwise, you see. Poor kids of a liturgical nerd).

There were a couple great things in the paper today, including this story about people addicted to watching TV on DVD. Oh yeah, baby. That's so us. This summer alone we've binged on season 5 of Curb Your Enthusiasm (The Christ Nail was my favorite ep), two seasons of Entourage (which started slow but got better and better. it's really accurate in its characterizations - esp the agent - but just know real Hollywood people aren't quite that clever in their speech. it's how HW would be if professional writers wrote everything everybody said), and now season one of Weeds, to which I am, big pun coming, completely addicted. Weeds was one of those that we'd watch the entire dvd, 6 episodes, without stopping. And then watch the commentaries.

And I put on Buffy when I'm packing and unpacking, which eases the pain. At least it makes me laugh now & then. And I take (sometimes too frequent) breaks when something stops me in my tracks and I have to sit and watch.

Actually, I'm a bit put out that the article above credits all this to 24. I mean, yes, they were the first to put out the old season before the new one aired. And that pushed things into high gear. But I would argue that Buffy and X-Files were more anticipated in their day, and certainly more purchased. Even Sex & the City, and of course Firefly. I mean, the only way to even see the latter in the correct order was on dvd! So the studios get it. And I'm just hoping the advertisers don't freak out. Because if I have my way, I'll just download or rent all my television and watch it in my own time in long stretches with no commercials. It's the only way to TV. Plus, you don't have to pay for cable. ha ha.

Anyhoo, I should really go on about my day. This week I'm finally going to write my Eschatology paper. I think it's not going to be about eternity anymore. Largely b/c of the discussion on here, I've decided to write about universalism. I am really looking forward to the research. So thanks. It's awfully cool to be able to do schoolwork on a topic that I'm currently obsessing about anyway.

1 comment:

spencer said...

Feminary (someday hope to address you beyond your user-id),

Thanks for taking the time with the book - especially during your busy class schedule. I am sorry I gave the impression that I am at odds with the Church. I know it is subtitle but I try to differentiate between the "institution" of church and The Church her self. It is my love of Church, the gathering of other children of God and the rituals of that community that I hope to unleash from the "institution". We may be saying the same thing but with different words and context.

I hope I am calling us to look beyond the old ways of categorizing each other and try to find new ways of being the Church in our world. I use the metaphor of "Email" and "Postal" as a way of looking at the church from two different perspectives. I don't believe one is better than the other but I do think the future is opening up communications with "email" church. So I am not trying to be hateful or destroy the "postal" church, I think this side of the church will continue even as the "email" church evolves (maybe we will even find ways of creating NetFlix opportunities).

My critique of where we have been and where we might be now as the church, is only to ask the question are we satisfied with the results OR can we look to the future and see possibilities for Grace beyond our present circumstances. I have been posting something that might help...
________________________________

I liken it to other industries in transition.
*The music industry sold vinyl and plastic but that is not MUSIC.
*The movie industry sold tickets but those are not MOVIES.
*The church industry counts weekly event attendance but that is not the CHURCH.

The record companies told us MUSIC would die if the ALBUM died, but they were wrong MUSIC is strong than ever (from .99 downloads to ring tones). The movie industry told us if the theaters went empty MOVIES would lose their funding, but they were wrong MOVIES are stronger than ever (from netflix to youTube). The institutional church says if we propose CHURCH as "Jesus beyond Christianity" or "Grace Beyond Religion" then the CHURCH will cease, but will it be stronger or weaker...

"A Heretic's Guide To Eternity" is a survey of spirituality today and a proposal for a bold new way of approaching the future as the Church.
_________________________________

I hope this isn't Hateful but rather seen as Hopeful. It is my love of the Church, Scriptures and Jesus that motivates me.

I do believe rites and rituals are central to the community, but they are not the only goal - they are part of the whole and I think we both are looking for the balance.

It would be great to touch base personally, please send me an email.