Sunday, July 03, 2005

Buttwipe

So people meet J and me and, upon finding out that he's got a master's in Philosophy of Religion and is doing a PhD in philosophy focusing on ethics and aesthetics, and I'm working on an MDiv with a concentration in worship, theology and the arts, they always say to us, "You guys must have the most fascinating conversations!"

Or they get scared and leave the room.

But you know what we talk about? Well, just now we were having a most illuminating discourse on the etymology of the word "buttwipe." From what source did this insult from our childhood derive? Back in the day, they didn't have the Cottenelle moist wipes that J calls "buttwipes" - basically baby wipes for adults. So why did we call one another "buttwipe?"

I suggested perhaps it had something to do with a person being so stupid that I would wipe my butt with them.

This, my friends, is the conversation of intellectuals.

And really, people complain to no end about the potty humor in movies, but do you know why it's there? Because people like us need to laugh at something asinine now and then. We can't always be on. Shakespeare, J points out, wrote plenty of potty humor. It's a fine tradition.

Hmmm...I might have to go watch my all-time favorite religious film, Dogma. The best of both my worlds.

6 comments:

St. Casserole said...

There is a reason for scatological humor. I'm sure there is.
I thought "buttwipe" was part of the intellectual's arsenal of come-backs.

Anonymous said...

I think that form of humor is a relief in that it reminds us not to be so serious. Dogma is one of my favorites too - mostly because of Alanis Morrisette.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

I am so glad to know that I'm not the only one who loves Dogma! I still think it is one of the most profoundly religious films I've ever seen.

My 9-year-old has not discovered "buttwipe" yet, but I dread to think of what life around here will be like when he does.... ;-)

betsy said...

I watched Dogma again on Monday! I love it - and the end gave me a good cathartic cry.

I have an officially liscenced "Buddy Christ" on display on the bookshelf in my office at church. You really need one - it would make a great graduation or ordination gift, in fact. You can tell so much about people by their reactions to 'Buddy Christ'.

Stasi said...

You may get one for me as my graduation gift.
:)

Apostle John said...

Hmmmm, I keep those moist towellets in my pulpit, especially on Ash Wednesday or when annointing with oil -- I'll never be able to enter Lent in the same way again :)