Friday, July 15, 2005

Trying to be philosophical

I suppose I can see how the Community Standards are reflective of what the majority of Fuller believes Christian behavior to be. And they do not include the really silly things like drinking, dancing, smoking - all that fun stuff from Wheaton. I think gambling might be in there. And there's a huge section on divorce (it's not a deal-breaker, but it's not a good thing).

Hmmm...I think the problem with homosexuals is that they are continuing to "live in sin" - they refuse to give up the "sinful" sex they have (of course, 5 years into my marriage, I wasn't having a whole lot of sex, and we're talking about 60-year-old women; I doubt these gals are humping like bunnies). Like many Christians who want to toe the line, they simply say that it's OK to be gay, just don't act on it.

But it seems really dumb to me. This woman can't change who she is - and why should she? She came out very late in life, and it seems like she should be granted grace and be able to finally love the way she was meant to - the way that was denied for so many years.

So what? She might taint me? I might "go gay"? This sucks because it eliminates just about every internship I could have, simply because I gravitate towards progressive Episcopal churches and people who aren't going to sign in agreement with the Standards.

Well, here's what they say:

Fuller Theological Seminary believes that heterosexual union must be reserved for marriage and insists on sexual abstinence for the unmarried. The seminary believes premarital, extramarital, and homosexual forms of explicit sexual conduct to be inconsistent with
the teaching of Scripture.

Consequently, the seminary expects all members of its community—trustees, faculty members, students, administrators, and staff members—to abstain from what it holds to be unbiblical
sexual practices.

At least they have a section on Dishonesty too. Because you know we all abstain from that.

2 comments:

Mark Baker-Wright said...

While I would certainly welcome it if Fuller were to engage in dialogue on this issue, I have to say that, on this one, I think I agree with Fuller's current stance.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, a divinity school should know better than to refer to 'unbiblical sexual practices,' given what the alternative includes. Onan's unbiblical sexual practices included refusing to impregnate his sister-in-law.