Monday, July 25, 2005

March

So I saw March of the Penguins, and sad to say, it wasn't as good as it could have been. More like a TV special than strong enough for film release. Maybe on IMAX it would be better. But I'd recommend renting "Winged Migration" instead (or I hear that one about the parrots of telegraph hill is great...although I live that outside my window most days...there's a few flocks of wild parrots that summer in South Pas).

J is teaching a class about film and philosophy and picked up a couple books about the Alien movies and what they teach us about sex. Really quite interesting theories. The progression of the movies, supposedly, is Ripley learning that sex is actually natural and okay and not something to be afraid of. In the first film, the subject is obviously birth - the horror of it, as demonstrated at the infamous spaghetti dinner. The second is about motherhood and protecting children. The third I didn't watch but I think it's again talking about pregnancy. And in the fourth she finally has to grow up and accept her child (before sucking him out the airlock).

Well anyway it's an interesting theory put forth in a couple of books, "On Film" by (can't find author right now will let you know) and "Alien Sex" (I'm striking out on authors). It appears one could make a very interesting study of these films and their relationship to the female life, especially our reproductive life.

Hey, do y'all think I should look into being chair of the Women's Concerns Committee at school?

No comments: