Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Lament

So here is a lament psalm. It was a class assignment, and it's not great. But I wasn't supposed to spend more than a couple hours on it. Maybe I'll keep touching it up.

O Lord, your temple is besieged,
Your holy dwelling-place filled with the unjust!
They perform empty ceremonies,
Making idols with your name.
The prayers of the unjust rise like smoke;
Like black soot are their praises.
They come before you as children,
As little ones without understanding;
Your priests strive to teach them,
Your apprentices seek to nourish them,
They offer food to the infants,
Their good food is rejected.

We are rent as a garment,
Israel’s fabric pulls at the seams,
We stress to the breaking-point,
Tearing away from our Lord.

The Lord is the mighty one of Israel
Who brought his people out of bondage.
He sent his son to proclaim good news of love
And apostles to prepare his Bride.
The Lord is full of steadfast love
And his faithfulness to his people endures forever.

O Lord, rise up and heal,
Mend the divisions of Israel!
Do not neglect your servants,
Who seek to understand your will!

The Lord will not stay silent,
He despises injustice in his name.
The Lord will not honor their ceremonies,
Nor let them worship falsely in his name.
He will hold the unjust accountable,
And will spit them out of his mouth.
He will guide his people to the comb
And with sweet truth he will fill them.

Therefore I will praise the Lord,
I will make my praise before the assembly.
I will study and gain knowledge,
I will open my mind to the wonders of the Almighty.
I will cry out to my God,
I will demand justice for the oppressed.
I will serve the Lord’s will,
And I will forever proclaim his desires to the people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From the proposed Psalm

Your priests strive to teach them,
Your apprentices seek to nourish them,
They offer food to the infants,
Their good food is rejected.

Dumb congregation. Ungrateful congregation. Unappreciative congregation. Kick 'em out and get a better congregation, there must be one somewhere!!!