Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Deeply distressing

I was really upset about the LA Times' multi-part expose of our Skid Row. But I used to live there and I became rather immune to the situation. You get to a point where you see people doing nothing and you just get cynical about anything ever getting better.

So I'm all the more impressed with the Times for keeping up the muckraking and for managing to shock even cynical me. This week, they're running yet another multi-day investigation, this time on the abuses of the professional conservator system (did you know there was such a thing? I didn't). The pages will require free registration but I promise you want to read this.

I thank God that this hasn't happened to anyone in my family. But it is incredibly scary. Please read it, if you can find the time - it's something we should all be aware of and take steps to ensure it doesn't happen to our loved ones - or ourselves!

No comments: