Thursday, November 10, 2005

Multi-faith Extravaganza!

I am so proud of my kids! Tonite was the multi-faith celebration ("everything from Atheist to Zen!"), and it was an amazing experience! Everyone who participated was proclaiming their faith proudly - without proselytizing.

The tone was perfect - it was a true celebration of many diverse ways of reaching out to the divine (plus a very funny song by the Atheists). At the end we were encouraged to spend a moment in silence, and I could only give grateful thanks for these students whose lives I've been privileged to be part of, and God for bringing me to USC in the first place, and mostly just for the fact that everyone in that big room is seeking after truth and desires to know - well, if not God, then truth, and really, where is the difference?

So I am proud as I could be, of all these young faithful ones, who carry on the beautiful traditions of their heritage and add their humor and sensibility and brilliance.

Yeah, college ministry. That would be a very good thing.

If you ever have a chance to hear a Sikh play a tabla drum or see a Hindu dance or listen to a Baha'i song, go for it. Also a very good thing.

I had to leave too early, to catch the bus. As I headed across campus in the crisp night air, a couple raindrops kissed my cheeks, Moby came on iPod, and for the first time on about a week, I exhaled. That was one good breath.

I might almost be ready to take on the 2 papers I'm writing this weekend. But first, a good night’s sleep, and some deep, deep breathing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so wonderful! I wish I could have been there.

And yeah, I think about college ministry sometimes too, when I dream about where I hope my rabbinate might take me. :-)